Tuesday 13 December 2011

Rain, wind and hail


I woke up this morning determined to get out for a lunchtime run as I was working from home.  It blew an absolute hoolie last night and sat at home this morning I watched the rain lash, and the hail crash against the window – should I just go to the gym instead?

I like the gym.  I go for resistance training a few times a week, but I’m not one for sweating away on a cross trainer or treadmill.  Don’t get me wrong, they have their uses and I wouldn’t criticise anyone for using them.  My wife is recovering from a running injury so she is using the cross trainer more than usual and this works for her.  Me?  I like to get outside.  I like to feel the weather on my face and the fresh air in my lungs.  Now I know that sounds a little corny but it’s probably that way for a reason.

Today however stretched the limits of ‘weather on my face’.

12pm arrived and I pulled on running tights (they just sound and look so wrong),  long sleeve top, t-shirt,  Goretex jacket,  hat and gloves.  I had no doubt in my own mind that I would be beyond toasty within 30secs of setting off – how wrong I was!

Living where I do I can get out into the countryside within a few minutes.  Running out onto the country road I was literally pushed sideways by the wind and rain.  It was cold.  In fact, it was beyond cold and one of those moments in time where you have to put your head down,  grit your teeth and just get on with it  -  Harry would.   A good thing about inclement weather is that you often focus on the conditions rather than your own pain.  Despite my clothing I was wet within the first couple of miles but I was getting warmer.  This was great running weather I decided so I picked my pace up a bit.  My route took me 4 miles out of Town and then back again. It’s one of those roads where you need to run facing oncoming traffic as it’s a bit of a rat run with puddles galore!  Wet feet and spray from cars makes it even more fun!  I finished with a respectable time – not my best, but that wasn’t my aim.  I got out there!!!

I love running, but for me it’s the feeling afterwards that really puts a smile on my face.  That tingly glow,  those tired legs and the sense of satisfaction.  It’s so much easier to put off a run than it is to get out there.  There is always a reason you can find to not go, but once it’s done you can sit back with a smug,  tingly smile on your face and know you’ve made a difference in ‘Running For Harry’.

Alex Britchfield

No comments:

Post a Comment